Tuesday, July 5, 2011

L & L Style Macaroni Salad



Ever since I first tried the macaroni salad at L& L Hawaiian Barbecue, I have wanted more.  And I am not a fan of macaroni salad.  Unfortunately, I had it when visiting my sister in San Diego, CA and I haven't been anywhere, since, that had one.  I finally, after years of looking, found a lead, and from that information, created a recipe that approximates the salad pretty well.

Of course, if you are not trying to clone L & L's recipe, you can always add diced ham, finely chopped shallots, or anything else you fancy. 




3/4 of a 1 lb box of elbow macaroni, cooked past al dente (add 3-5 minutes to longest cooking time), cooled
3/4 cup Best Foods or Hellman's Mayonnaise (it has to be this brand to get the correct taste)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 medium-sized carrot, peeled
1 tablespoon canned white tuna, drained
kosher salt
black pepper

In a large covered storage bowl, mix mayonnaise, milk, and tuna. I do this step in a food processor to integrate the tuna well.
Shred carrot finely into mayo mixture.
Season with salt and pepper and stir. Taste and re-season, if necessary.
Add cooked macaroni and mix well.  
Cover and refrigerate for an hour then add heavy cream to make creamy, stir well.  Taste and re-season as needed.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible story to yeast-free eating! I'm glad to hear this has helped you. I was recently on a week of antibiotics and you can guess what that caused by the end of it (speaking of which, I should go take my probiotics right now). I went gluten-free for almost a week to get my system right again and it was an interesting process. I'm not sure if I felt better, but I definitely didn't feel worse. Good to know that gluten and yeast are different animals. I'm still learning/experimenting with healthy styles of eating. I'm hypoglycemic, so I definitely have to watch my food.

    ReplyDelete