Monday, October 21, 2013

Cheddar and Chive Chicken Waffles with Pepper Gravy


I love the food blog, Oh Bite It! A couple months ago, she posted a recipe for Chicken In Waffles, that was a wonderful version of Chicken and Waffles, where the chicken was actually cooked inside the waffle and was drizzled with syrup. My husband doesn't like sweets with his savory, so I decided to modify the recipe for his tastes and it was transcendental. I seriously almost started crying while eating them, they were THAT good.

To make this yeast free, you need to just search for yeast free chicken tenders. Again, Tyson makes a southern chicken tender that is yeast free, just check the ingredients.

You can use my recipe for waffles, here if you are sensitive to baking powder or use Bisquick like the recipe calls for if your intestines tolerate it. If using the recipe linked above, simply omit the sugar and add salt, pepper, chives, cheese and chicken to the prepared waffle batter.

I suggest serving this with bacon. I cook mine in the oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes or until it is crispy and delicious.

For the Waffles
2 cups bisquick or other baking mix
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper
1 tablespoon chives
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-2 cups diced defrosted precooked fried chicken tenders

Nonstick Spray for waffle iron

For the gravy
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your waffle maker.
Mix all of the ingredients for the waffles in a large bowl until well combined.  
Spray waffle maker with nonstick spray.
Place about 1/2 cup of batter in the middle of your waffle iron (or in each section if you have a square waffle maker, instead of the round sort), and cook until the waffle iron tells you it is done.

Meanwhile, combine the butter and flour in a small pot over medium heat. 
Cook until the flour smells nutty and becomes golden in color, a few minutes.
Slowly whisk in milk to avoid making lumps.
Allow to come to a boil, add more milk as needed if your gravy is too thick. 
Season with salt and pepper, tasting as you go.

Serve the waffles covered in gravy, with bacon on the side. Also great covered with a poached egg.

Makes 4-5 large waffles




7 comments:

  1. Hi...I came across your blog today while looking up some questionable foods that I wasn't sure had yeast in them or not...and I just had to write you! Back in June, I got really sick, and after a colonscopy in August, my GI doc wanted me to start meds for Crohn's, because he found granulomas on the biopsy. But I resisted, not fully believing it was Crohn's, and wanting to go the natural route. I started the Specific Carb Diet in Oct, which helped me some, but not enough, and I was finally starting to consider the meds, when I had IgG and IgA allergy testing done in Jan.

    Among other things, it turned out I was allergic to baker's and brewer's yeasts, and had been consuming foods on the SCD (wine, aged cheeses, sauerkraut), that contained yeast. At the start of Feb, I took out all my allergens, including yeast, continued with the SCD diet, and felt better within weeks.

    I had a capsule endoscopy done at the start of this month, and all signs of Crohn's were gone. I mean, so much so, that my GI doctor will no longer commit either way whether it was Crohn's or not (even after he wanted me on Pentasa since August). Anyway, I was so pleased to find your blog and come across someone else who had a similar experience to me. Thank you for blogging about your experience to try and help others in the same situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what a difference it makes, getting things out of your diet when they are secretly making you sick. Thank you for sharing your story with me as well!

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome. Are you still feeling well today (I hope!)?

      Delete
    3. My intestinal woes are under control but I found that my diagnosis was likely not Crohn's but just a small part of another disease I have been diagnosed with, called Behcet's disease. So while my digestion is pretty great, the rest of my body is wracked with pain... which is still better than experiencing both!

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry to hear you are still having so many issues, but glad that at least your digestion is under control. It is definitely a start. I do hope you find some more success in treating your Behcet's disease in the future.

      Delete
  2. I'm confused. How is this a recipe for yeast free eating? I've read to avoid dairy (cheese, milk, butter), flour, cured meats (bacon), processed foods (like chicken tenders). Thanks in advance. I've been trying to get better for years but the info is do conflicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a difference between a yeast-free diet (which avoids the protein that sets off an immune/antibody response to yeast) and a Candida diet (which is called a yeast-free diet but is not actually). The candida diet is trying to stop yeast overgrowth in the body. That requires avoiding all of those things because they contain sugars.

      With a yeast intolerance, or allergy, the yeast itself is what is being avoided and none of those things contain actual yeast proteins, so they are allowed for a yeast-free diet. People who are intolerant to yeast are less likely to have yeast overgrowth because their body reacts so violently to it.

      This recipe is for people who are intolerant or allergic to yeast proteins. This would include people with Crohn's disease or IBD (whether diagnosed or not).

      Delete